part of a lamp which provides connection to the electrical supply by means of a lampholder or lamp connector and, in most cases, also serves to retain the lamp in the lampholder

Equivalent term used in the US: "base"

NOTE 1 The term "base" is used in both outside and in the US to denote an integral part of a lamp envelope which has been shaped so that it fulfils the function of a cap. It may engage also either a holder or a connector, depending on other design features of the lamp-and-holder system.

NOTE 2 The cap of a lamp and its corresponding holder are generally identified by one or more letters followed by a number which indicates approximately the principal dimension (generally the diameter) of the cap in millimetres. The standard code is to be found in IEC Publication 60061.

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer